If you enjoy gorgeous mountain scenery with granite peaks, rushing rivers and historic small towns, then you'll enjoy Breckenridge any time of year. If you're a skier, snow boarder, hiker or mountain biker, then this place is heaven on earth.A rosy sunrise announces another gorgeous day at Breckenridge
Historic gold rush town in the Rockies
In 1859, gold was discovered in the Rocky Mountains, and treasure seekers flocked to the area that is now Breckenridge. Soon the town hosted stores, hotels, a post office, and (of course) numerous saloons. By 1882, Breckenridge was the queen of the mining towns in the area.
The oddest period in the town's history was when it disappeared. In the early 1900s, the Breckenridge Women's Club discovered that maps of the US had eliminated a strip of land 90 miles long, where the town should have been. Thank heavens they got that fixed, because it would be a shame to lose a place so beautiful!
Year round playground
Summer fun - The Rockies provide spectacular scenery and recreational opportunities, and Breckenridge is an excellent base for exploring the area. You'll find plenty of summer sunshine, blue skies (300 days of the year!), pine covered mountains, crystal clear streams, and colorful wildflowers.Summer hiking with wildflowers in the mountains near Breckenridge
Hiking trails lead from a number of trail heads around town, with levels to suit anybody, from easy strolls to strenuous mountain treks. There are hundreds of miles of trails open for mountain biking, with an extensive network you can access easily from town.
For more variety, you can also go horseback riding, hot air ballooning, kayaking, fishing, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, or explore the history of the area on an authentic gold mine tour.
Winter fun - Breck's modern claim to fame is its world class ski resort, with over 2,000 acres of snowy terrain and 155 trails. Skiers and snowboarders flock here every winter in search of deep powder and steep thrills. There are bowls, chutes and terrain parks to challenge the experts, and many easier options for newbies and intermediates.
For a change of pace in the winter, you can try a snowmobile tour, go dog sledding, cross-country ski through the forests, or take a sleigh ride.The peaks at Breckridge offer challenges for all levels
Breckenridge hosts hundreds of events every year. Here are a few of the biggest.
- January - Ullr Fest celebrates the Norse god of winter. You'll see skiers with horned Viking hats, and a parade with crazy floats.
- February or March - Mardi Gras comes to Breckenridge, complete with masks, beads, and revelry with abandon.
- June - Kingdom Days celebrates the town's mining history with outdoor concerts, and the ever-popular Outhouse Races. Back when it was omitted from US maps, Breck was known as part of "Colorado's Kingdom".
- October - What else? A Munich-style Oktoberfest means lots of German food, polka dancing, and a street party with abundant beer.
Resorts in Breckenridge
There are numerous timeshare resorts and hotels in Breckenridge. Here are a few of the more scrumptious options available.
Hyatt Main Street Station
Hyatt Main Street Station - This luxury timeshare resort has a prime location on historic Main Street, at the base of the ski resort. You can walk to slopes, trails, or dozens of restaurants and shops. The design is inspired by the town's wild west history, and units have king size beds, whirlpool baths, and fireplaces.
How to stay here? The resort is part of the Hyatt Residence Club, and it's on Interval International (a premiere resort).
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Valdoro Mountain Lodge - Near the base of the Breckenridge ski resort, this luxurious resort features award-winning architecture and elegant ambiance. Located near historic Main Street, it offers easy access to hundreds of restaurants, galleries, and shops. The resort has a full-service spa, and all units have fireplaces.
How to stay here? This resort is part of Hilton Grand Vacations, or you can find it on RCI (a gold crown resort).
Grand Lodge on Peak 7
Grand Lodge on Peak 7 - This ski-in, ski-out resort is just steps from the super chair at the base of Breckenridge Ski Resort. The lobby has a large, moss-rock fireplace, and the resort has indoor/outdoor pools, private movie theaters, a day spa, and an adults only grotto area. Units have private balconies, fireplaces, and high end fixtures.
How to stay here? You'll find this resort on Interval International (a premier resort).
- Where it is - Breckenridge is in central Colorado, about 100 miles west of Denver.
- How to get here - You fly into Denver International Airport (airport code DEN). It's about an hour and a half drive from there, or you can take a shuttle van.
- Weather - At 9,600 feet elevation, it's never too hot here. Summer highs are in the 70s, perfect for hiking, biking and picnics. Winters are cold with lots of snow. See weather averages for Breckenridge, Colorado.
For more information, see: