If you enjoy a vacation in the mountains, then one resort to consider is the Grand Lodge on Peak 7, in Breckenridge, Colorado. High in the Rocky Mountains, this picturesque town is surrounded by options for outdoor activities, and there are plenty of shops and restaurants to enjoy, too. As for the resort itself? Here's what we found...Indoor - outdoor pool and hot tubs at Grand Lodge on Peak 7
Initial impressions of Grand Lodge on Peak 7
1979 Ski Hill Road
Breckenridge, CO 80424
Breckenridge Grand Vacations
Affiliated with Interval
I previously wrote about Breckenridge, a dream destination for mountain lovers, so you can read more about the town there.
For now, suffice it to say that this historic gold mining town is now a mecca for skiers, snowboarders, hikers, mountain bikers, photographers and nature lovers. If your idea of a vacation includes spectacular mountain scenery, then Breckenridge is a great choice.
But back to the resort... From the valet parking guys who greeted us when we first arrived, through all the other employees we dealt with while we were there, I found the service to be friendly, helpful, polite, and professional. That goes a long way to making me feel welcome in a place, and like a valued guest.
The lodge itself is built in the traditional wood and stone style that seems fitting for a mountain resort. Everything is quite new (the buildings were finished in 2010 and 2013), and conveys an impression of quality and sophistication. On the other hand, the air of luxury is tempered by an obvious focus on fun, as people walk through the lobby in their ski wear, flush from their latest runs. Sophisticated and fun makes a great combination.The airy lobby at the Grand Lodge on Peak 7
The spacious lobby has views out to the ski slopes, which immediately gave me thoughts of abandoning the comfy interior , and heading outside for some fun. On the other hand, after hearing about all of the resort facilities during our check-in, I started thinking maybe the indoor-outdoor pool and hot tub might be a nice way to unwind after the trip. Decisions, decisions... 😉
The lodge's location and facilities
For winter sports enthusiasts, it's hard to do better than the location of the Grand Lodge on Peak 7. You're right on the slopes, at the base of Breckenridge Ski Resort's peak 7 runs. The high speed Independence SuperChair is literally right outside the door of the resort. Ski-in / ski-out access doesn't get more convenient than this.Grand Lodge on Peak 7, right on the slopes at Breckenridge
If you're visiting at other times of year, there's no shortage of activities, with a ton of hiking and mountain biking options around you. Other nearby possibilities include golf, horseback riding, whitewater rafting, rock climbing and more.
Since it's situated on the mountainside, the resort is some distance from town. During the day, you can take the BreckConnect gondola from the resort down to the town, or back up. It stops right at the resort, which is convenient.
Unfortunately, the gondola doesn't run in the evenings. If you want to go out for dinner, you can use the resort's free shuttle service. It's not as scenic or fast as the gondola, but it works.
As for the resort's facilities, there is plenty to keep you happily occupied:
- On-site restaurant, Sevens
- Soothe Day Spa
- Lobby piano bar
- Indoor-outdoor pool
- Several outdoor hot tubs (beautiful when it's snowing!)
- Adult-only indoor grotto with hot tub
- Convenience store
- Well-equipped fitness center
- Putting green in summer
- Family fun center
- Kid's night and Family movie night
- 4 private movie theaters
While all of these are nicely done, the adult-only relaxation grotto and the private movie theaters are extra-special touches beyond what you find most places.The adults-only grotto at the Grand Lodge on Peak 7
Accommodations at the Grand Lodge on Peak 7
Elegant, classy and comfortable ski-in / ski-out resort, right on the slopes of the Breckenridge Ski Resort.
The resort was finished in 2013, and we visited in 2014, so everything seemed quite new and fresh. Furniture, decor, kitchen appliances - everything was in excellent condition.
The 1-bedroom units are spacious, with a big kitchen featuring granite countertops. It's fully equipped with stainless steel appliances, and all the standard essentials like a dishwasher, microwave, toaster, and coffeemaker. You'll even find a blender and crock pot.
The master bedroom has a king bed, and the full bathroom includes a large soaking tub. The comfortable living room has a gas fireplace for those snowy winter evenings. The sofa can pull out into a queen sleeper, so the unit can sleep a total of 4. In nice weather, you'll want to make use of the private balcony.The living room has a balcony with a view to the slopes
The studio suites are considerably smaller, with a small kitchenette rather than a full kitchen. Nevertheless, they're larger than the studios you find many places, and they have a door separating the bedroom from the living area. That's nice if one of you tends to be an early riser while the other is a night owl.
The resort also has 2, 3 and 4 bedroom units that can sleep up to 16 people. I didn't visit those, but I'm sure they're all very comfortable and well appointed.
Upsides of the Grand Lodge on Peak 7
- Great location. For skiers and snowboarders, it's hard to beat this location right beside one of Breckenridge's super chairlifts.
- Beautiful lodge. The resort is gorgeous. The modern yet rustic design is done with a focus on quality, style and comfort. Add the spectacular setting on the mountainside, and it's wonderful.
- High qualtiy. Everything - the furnishings, decor, and service, reflected an emphasis on quality. I wasn't disappointed in anything at all.
- Free wifi. My favorite amenity! 🙂 I love it when resorts provide this, instead of nickle and diming you (or $15 and $20-ing you) for the wifi we all rely on.
Downsides of Grand Lodge on Peak 7
- Limited dining on the hill. There is one on-site restaurant, but if you're staying for long, you'll want to try some of the many places downtown, too.
- Need gondola or shuttle to town. You're a ways from town, so you can't just walk out the door to check out the restaurants. During the day, the gondola is kind of fun. At night, you need to wait for the free shuttle.
- Pricey to buy in. This resort is so new that you're unlikely to find it on the resale market. If you want to buy into this resort, or the new sister property currently under construction (see below), you'll pay a pretty penny to do so. This quality does not come cheap.
As a skier, I would be delighted to stay here again any time. The convenience of having a high speed chairlift right outside your door cannot be beat. Breckenridge has world class slopes in a wide variety of difficulty levels, and is a fabulous destination for winter sports enthusiasts.
The resort itself is lovely, with high quality furnishings, decor and amenities. I was impressed with the 1-bedroom units, and even the studios are quite comfortable.
Breckenridge also offers ample activities for the non-snowy months of the year, with many miles of hiking and mountain biking trails in the area. Surrounded by spectacular Rocky Mountain scenery, this is a stunning place whenever you visit.
Breckenridge travel tips
- Best time to go? It depends on what you want. Winter is high season for skiers, while summer is popular for hikers and families. At about 9,500' elevation, it never gets too hot. Spring and fall are the off-seasons, but even then, spring brings wildflowers, and fall colors can be gorgeous. See Breckenridge weather averages...
- Best way to stay? The Grand Lodge is associated with Interval International (resort code GP7). We were able to stay there via a timeshare exchange. If you want to go during prime season, I'd recommend starting your search early, and using the widest time frame that will work for you, to maximize your chances of success.
Other resorts by Breckenridge Grand Vacations
The company that created Grand Lodge on Peak 7 is a niche timeshare company, specializing in properties in Breckenridge. At this point, they have 3 properties, with one more on the way.
It seems that each property they've built has been better than the one before it, and I fully expect the trend to continue with their brand new timeshare, currently under construction.
- Gold Point Resort - This is a friendly, clean and comfortable resort, but not in the same luxury category as the Grand Lodge. You take a shuttle to reach the slopes. This was the company's first timeshare, and they moved up from here. goldpoint.com
- Grand Timber Lodge - This is an upscale resort, a bit older but well maintained, with restaurant, bar, spa, indoor/outdoor pool, hot tubs, and exercise room. Between peaks 8 and 9, it's classified as ski-in / ski-out, but it's not the same as Grand Lodge on Peak 7. You need to take your skis off to cross a road, or pole your way across a long flat run to get back. grandtimber.com
- Grand Colorado on Peak 8 - There wasn't much to see here yet when we were there, but I expect this will be even nicer than Grand Lodge on Peak 7. The website says it will "set a new standard for slopeside luxury in Breckenridge." I'll have to check it out one of these days! 🙂 grandcoloradoonpeak8.com
Have you stayed at the Grand Lodge on Peak 7, or any of the other timeshares in Breckenridge, Colorado? Any tips or recommendations for others? Please let us know in the Reply section below. I'd love to hear from you!